Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Investing

Orano Condemns Illegal Uranium Transfer from Niger Mine

French nuclear group Orano said that it “strongly condemns” the removal of uranium from the SOMAÏR mine in northern Niger.

The company called the transfer illegal and a direct breach of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes’ (ICSID) September ruling, which prohibits the material from being sold or moved without the company’s consent.

Orano said it learned of the shipment only after media reports disclosed that uranium had been taken from the Arlit-based facility, which has been under the control of Niger’s military government since late 2024.

The company went on to explain “ (it) is not the initiator of this shipment,” adding that it has no official information on the quantity removed, the shipment’s destination, or the conditions of its transport.

The incident deepens an already severe standoff that has been building for more than a year, following the military junta’s decision in December 2024 to block Orano from operating the mine despite the company’s majority stake.

At the time, Orano publicly confirmed it had lost operational control, noting that board-approved directives were no longer being carried out and that authorities were preventing the suspension of production expenses.

The situation escalated further in June 2025, when Niger announced it would nationalize SOMAÏR outright.

The government accused Orano—a firm it described as “owned by the French state—a state openly hostile toward Niger since July 26, 2023” — of “irresponsible, illegal, and unfair behaviour.”

Authorities said the mining agreement had expired in December 2023 and argued that nationalization was an assertion of “full sovereignty.” Orano, which held a 63 percent stake in the venture, declined to comment at the time but continued to pursue arbitration and legal action.

The dispute produced a ruling favorable to Orano in September. The ICSID tribunal ordered Niger “not to sell, transfer, or even facilitate the transfer to third parties of uranium produced by SOMAÏR” that was being held in violation of Orano’s rights.

That decision has now become central to the new controversy, with the latest shipment appearing to defy the tribunal’s directive.

Orano said the uranium transfer constitutes a “breach” of the ruling and warned it is prepared to take further steps in response. The company said it reserves the right to take any additional action necessary, including criminal proceedings against third parties, should the material be taken in violation of its offtake entitlement.

Securities Disclosure: I, Giann Liguid, hold no direct investment interest in any company mentioned in this article.

This post appeared first on investingnews.com
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News And Articles.

    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Editor's Pick

    On April 23, 1985, the Coca-Cola Company made one of the biggest mistakes in American business history: it changed the formula for Coca-Cola. Outraged...

    Editor's Pick

    The final December results from the University of Michigan Surveys of Consumers show overall consumer sentiment improved for the month but remains near historically...

    Latest News

    India’s military has acknowledged for the first time that an unspecified number of its fighter jets were shot down during strikes on Pakistani-controlled territory...

    Editor's Pick

    For years the North Korean playbook was obvious to the world. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea wanted to be the center of attention....